As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you craving deliciously crispy fried chicken without the guilt? Look no further than this oven fried chicken recipe. With the perfect blend of flavors and a satisfying crunch, this healthier alternative to traditional fried chicken will surely become a family favorite. In this article, we will walk you through the process of making oven fried chicken step by step, providing useful tips along the way.
Benefits of Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
Oven fried chicken offers several advantages over traditional deep-fried chicken. Not only does it reduce the amount of unhealthy fats and calories, but it also minimizes the mess associated with deep frying. By using the oven, you can achieve a crispy exterior and juicy interior without sacrificing taste.
Ingredients for Oven Fried Chicken
To make oven fried chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken pieces (such as drumsticks, thighs, or breasts)
- All-purpose flour
- Bread crumbs or crushed cornflakes
- Seasonings (such as salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and dried herbs)
- Cooking spray or olive oil
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Oven Fried Chicken
- Preheat your oven to the desired temperature.
- Prepare the chicken by removing the skin or excess fat.
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour and seasonings.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip each chicken piece into the flour mixture, coating it thoroughly.
- Then, dip the chicken into the beaten eggs.
- Coat the chicken with bread crumbs or crushed cornflakes, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat the process for all chicken pieces.
- Lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for the specified time, turning it once to ensure even cooking.
- Check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken. It should register 165°F (74°C).
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Tips for Perfectly Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Ensure the chicken is dry before coating it with flour to help the breading adhere better.
- For an extra crispy texture, consider marinating the chicken in buttermilk before coating.
- Place a wire rack on the baking sheet to allow air circulation and prevent the chicken from becoming soggy.
- Experiment with different seasonings and spices to create your own unique flavor profile.
Healthier Alternatives for Oven Fried Chicken
If you’re looking for even healthier options, you can try these alternatives:
- Panko bread crumbs: Use panko bread crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs for a lighter and crunchier coating.
- Baked chicken tenders: Opt for boneless, skinless chicken tenders instead of traditional chicken pieces for a leaner option.
- Gluten-free coating: Substitute the all-purpose flour and bread crumbs with gluten-free alternatives for those with dietary restrictions.
Serving Suggestions and Accompaniments
Oven fried chicken pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Consider serving it with:
- Mashed potatoes and gravy: The creamy smoothness of mashed potatoes matches the crispy chicken well. Drizzle some delicious gravy over the potatoes to add flavor.
- Coleslaw: The cool crunch of coleslaw contrasts well with the meaty and crispy chicken. The acidic dressing gives a punch of flavor.
- Warm cornbread: For a Southern-inspired supper, serve some warm cornbread on the side. Its somewhat sweet flavor enhances the salty chicken.
- Roasted veggies: Add a healthful touch to your dinner by roasting some seasonal vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts. The caramelized tastes go nicely with the chicken.
- Salad: A fresh salad will help to round off the meal. For a light salad, combine a variety of greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a light dressing.
With this oven fried chicken recipe, you can enjoy the irresistible taste and satisfying crunch of fried chicken while keeping it healthier. By using the oven instead of deep frying, you can reduce the amount of oil and calories without compromising on flavor. Follow the step-by-step instructions, incorporate the suggested tips, and get creative with your seasonings to create a delicious meal that the whole family will love.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can I make oven-fried chicken with boneless chicken?
For oven-fried chicken, boneless chicken does indeed work great. To ensure thorough cooking, modify the cooking time as necessary.
What can I do to get the chicken extra crispy?
You may either slightly raise the oven temperature or broil the chicken for the last few minutes of cooking to get additional crispiness.
Can I prepare oven-fried chicken in advance?
Even while oven-fried chicken is best when eaten right away, you may prepare it in advance and reheat it in the oven to keep the crispiness.
What may I use in the recipe in place of the eggs?
Use buttermilk or a combination of milk and vinegar if you’re allergic to eggs or would like an egg-free version.
Is chicken that has been baked instead than fried healthier?
Yes, since oven-fried chicken uses less oil and has less calories than standard fried chicken does. However, the total nutritional value may still be impacted by the portion quantities and substances utilized.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.